Distractions You Could Use Right Now
What do you need at this crazy time other than TP?
We all need to take breaks from the news.
I reached out to my community of small business owners with big hearts. The goal is to put together a list of ideas to help you take a break from the news, the stress, and the uncertainty.
Here’s what we come up with:
If you’re in metro Vancouver
- Check out Fanny’s Oh Sweet Day! Bake Shop on the drive. Her mini cheesecakes are gonna make you and your fam oh so happy. Oh Sweet Day! deliveries to Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New West, and Tri-cities. Buy 5 mini cheesecakes get 1 free / free delivery service.
- Natalie at Pep Soap makes minimalist natural soap from her studio in Port Moody BC. She offers free delivery within Tri-Cities and flat rate shipping to the rest of Canada and US.
- Fulfill Shoppe is a zero waste online shop with delivery service to the Tri Cities, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, New Westminster. You’ll find dry pantry goods, cleaning and beauty products all delivered in refillable plastic free containers. Sisters Pam and Lori live in Port Coquitlam.
- Anna at myMomentum built an incredible community. Download the M app on your phone for daily bite-sized challenges for all things wellness. You’ll earn points for every challenge you complete to use for rewards from local businesses. Win-win-win!
- Rise and Renew is an online monthly mini-retreat and workout series. Led by Danielle at Renew Retreats, you get to rise up and get renewed with like-minded women through sweat, self-care, and connection. Other new digital experiences coming soon!
- Piya’s The Handpicked Home at White Rock, BC gives you a lifestyle shopping experience with a focus on locally- and- handmade goods. She’s offering curb-side pick up and shipping across Canada and the US.
If you’re in Seattle
- You’ll love Jolene’s Public Goods and Services in West Seattle, where she supplies thoughtfully considered reusable and refillable options for home, on-the-go, and personal care with less waste. She ships to US and Canada. With the current stay at home order, she’s offering curb-side drop off and pickup for refills and products.
For when you’re wondering what’s for (breakfast, lunch, snacks, and) dinner…
- The Foodocracy offers the best of the farmers market, delivered to you. Lead by Lisa and Deep, The Foodocracy is a non profit organization on a mission to create more sustainable and local food systems by helping small batch makers and indie farmers reach new audiences. Based in Los Angeles CA. Delivers to US only for now.
- Petra in Victoria BC is teaching families (kids) to build their own garden so they can learn real life skills and grow the food they love. Bonus: you get to bond with them by turning it into a family project.
For when you finally have time to make wellness and self-care a priority…
- Why not treat yourself everyday with handmade soap that give you a spa experience in your shower? Natalie (that's me!) makes soap with simple nourishing ingredients from scratch. Scented with essential oils, not synthetic fragrances. Bar for bar donation at this critical time to flatten the curve.
When you feel like doing some online shopping
Here are some indie brands to check out:
For your skin and your senses…
- Gentle minimalist natural soap that’s an everyday treat to your skin and your mind. No synthetic fragrances. No petrochemicals.. Pep Soap Co. is based in Port Moody BC. Ship to Canada and the US.
- Tailor your skincare routine with active botanical. Layer the 3 products by Somerset Moss for simple, effective skincare that also uplift your mood and improve your wellbeing. Somerset Moss Skincare is based in Vancouver BC. Ship Worldwide.
- Non-toxic, green, clean affordable makeup that gives you flawless coverage without clogging your pours! iamgreenminded.com is based in Spokane, WA. Ship Worldwide.
- Support your wellness naturally with essential oil by Be Kind Botanicals. Based in Buckeye, AZ. Ship to US & Canada.
For your little one…
- Baby and toddler clothing and accessories made from soft, sustainable bamboo and organic cotton. Bamboobino is based in Coquitlam BC. Ship Worldwide.
- Long-lasting, sustainable play clothes for kids and women. Plus, they buy back their garments when your kids outgrow them! Jackalo is based in Maastricht Netherlands (soon-ish to be Washington, DC. You know, when the pandemic dies down! 🤞). Ship Worldwide.
- You'll find expandable baby & toddler clothes that grow *with* your child at Beya Made (how cool is that!). Laurel is based in Atlanta, GA.
For your home…
- Cozy, comfy, lightweight breathable muslin blankets that’s great for the whole family! Breganwood Organics (currently stuck in a little town called El Valle in Panama. Can’t get to her products and therefore can only ship via Amazon within the US)
- Here’s an art print that’s sure to help you be calm and relaxed. Jennifer Squires Productions is based in London, ON. Ship to Canada and US.
- Fair trade artisan goods for life and home. Fair Tribe is based in San Francisco CA. Ship within US.
For your wardrobe…
- Tanks, tees, leggings, journals, postcards with 100% of the proceeds toward their confidence-boosting camps for teenage girls. You read that right, registered non-profit! (Girl In The Wild is based in Golden BC. Ship Worldwide.)
- Graphic apparel with original designs + positive vibes! Brag Swag is based in Berryville VA. Ship within the US.
- Gemstone + copper boho-inspired jewelry that’s effortless to wear for busy momma. Livvie + Hazel is based in Ingalls KS. Ship to US, Canada, and UK.
For a little delight…
- Prettiest chocolate you’ve ever seen and tasted, and with Keto and vegan options. (Solasta Chocolate is based in Port Coquitlam BC. Ship within Canada)
- Mild and gentle minimalist natural soap that’s an everyday treat to your skin and your mind. No synthetic fragrances. No petrochemicals. Bar for bar donation to local charity at this critical time to flatten the curve. Pep Soap Co. is based in Port Moody BC. Ship to Canada and the US.
For when you want to tell someone you’re thinking of them…
- Cute little 1-inche lapel pins: send one as a pick-me-up to a dear friend or neighbor. LanaBetty is based in Vancouver BC. $1 from each rose pin will be donated to the VGH Foundation to help pay for resources of front-line workers. Ship free to Canada and US. Small fee to the rest of the world.
- Love & SUNSHINE Bundle: Coming soon by Pep Soap Co.
When you want to spread even more good vibes…
You’re here because you want to support small businesses. You’re awesome that way.
Buying from small biz is just one way to support us. Here are other ways to show your support without spending a dime:
Subscribe to our newsletter. I’m not saying you subscribe to everything (don’t!). But when you come across a small biz that you like, click that damn button to subscribe. Real businesses run by real people don’t send spams.
Engage with us on social media. The way I see it: social media is a way for you and I to connect as real people. Real people with wants and needs, plans and dreams, friends and family. For me, this is true from day one, and even more important at times like this.
My goal is to add delight to your day, one post, one story, and one bar of soap at a time. I’m gonna risk generalizing and say this: when you leave us small business owners a comment, share a post, or join a conversation, it warms our hearts ❤️.
Not only that. The likes, comments, and shares are also indications to the almighty Instagram/Facebook algorithm that the content is relevant. Therefore, the post will show up on more people’s feed. The truth is this: None of us has a Super Bowl Ad budget, and most of us are working within the framework of the platform.
When you and I engaged in genuine authentic conversations, it allows us small businesses to serve you better with the side benefit of reaching more people. #WinWin don’t you think?
- Tell a friend. Nothing is better than word of mouth. If you like us, tell a friend (when you can see them in person 🤷). In the meantime, share our posts, forward our emails, and FaceTime them to tell them how our products and services are making your day better.
with so much love and gratitude,
Also in Blog
A delicious healthy grab 'n go breakfast shared by a Vancouver-based registered holistic nutritionist!